Like all roles in Scouting, the time that you volunteer is one of personal choice, whether you volunteer for every meeting or just one per month, it is entirely up to you.
The Assistant Section Leader role is a uniformed role (Group pay for your initial uniform) and has training associated with it (all training is now online with the exception of the practical element of your First Response Training).
Outline: Support the operation of the Section. In particular, the planning and delivery of the Balanced Programme, with the help of other Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Section Assistants, Young Leaders and members of Scout Active Support as appropriate. Some of the tasks for which the Assistant Section Leader is responsible may be delegated to others in the Section, including other Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders and Section Assistants.
Responsible to: Group Scout Leader.
Main Contacts: Young People, parents/carers, Section Leaders, Section Assistants, other Assistant Section Leaders within the Group, Group Scout Leader, Assistant District and County/Area Commissioners (Section), Explorer Scout Leader (Young Leaders), Young Leaders, Group Executive Committee members, Sponsors of the Group.
Appointment Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies). During the 5 months of Provisional Appointment the relevant Getting Started modules must be completed and a Wood Badge must be completed within three years of Full Appointment, as well as ongoing safeguarding and safety training.
It’s expected that whilst volunteering for this role you will undertake regulated activity.
Delivery of a Balanced Programme:
- Support the delivery of a safe, exciting and stimulating Balanced Programme for the Section taking into account the needs, interests and abilities of the Young People.
- Support the safe delivery of the programme in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
- Ensuring that every young person in the Section has the opportunity to attend at least one night’s away experience each year.
- Actively support and promote the achievement of badges and awards, in particular the Chief Scouts Award.
- Actively work with other adults in the Group to support and promote Group or multi-section activities and events.
- Agree how you can support the Section Leader to ensure regular opportunities are provided for young people to express their views on the programme and running on the Section, and that those views are taken into account (for example using Log Chews, Pack, Troop, Sixer or Patrol Leader forums, or any other method).
- Actively support the Section Leaders to promote the Moving On from Section to Section.
Operation of the Section
- Work with the Group Scout Leader, the Group Executive Committee and others to support recruiting and inducting appropriate Section Leaders, Assistant Leaders and Section Assistants.
- Agree responsibilities with the Section Leader(s), Assistant Section Leader(s), Section Assistants and parent helpers taking into account the development of the individual’s leadership potential.
- Ensure accurate records are kept of the Young People in the Section in accordance with the Data Protection Act and pass these records to the Section Leader when the Young Person reaches the age to move up to the next Section.
- Regularly review the operation of the Section.
- Make and maintain good relationships with parents/carers of the Young People. This may include running a parent rota and/or inviting parents to support camps or other residential experiences.
Wider Group tasks:
- Follow the Group’s financial procedures which must be in accordance with POR.
- Attend and contribute to relevant Group and District meetings. These may include meetings of the Group Council, Leaders’ meetings (at Group, District or County level), and AGMs.
Note: any other tasks are to be agreed with the Line Manager.
To take the next step, please contact the Group Scout Leader via our Contacts Page.